Let’s start with the no-brainer. A well-trained certified Color Consultant will save you Time, Frustration and Money. I am totally fascinated every time I walk into a big box store or a paint shop such as Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams and I see people staring at all the thousands of color chips with a blank look and a frown between their eyebrows. They know they want a gray, a blue or green but we all know that there are 50 shades of any hue out there!
7 reasons why you should hire a Professional Architectural Color Consultant
Fact is, paint color choices are multiplying by the hundreds and if you don’t know HOW to look at COLOR, how to identify the hue family (undertones) the nuances, differentiate between a cool greige or a warm greige, you cannot even imagine how it will react in your space, painted on a large surface with specific light exposures!
Not only is choosing paint colors on your own an agonizing process but when you start leaning on the opinions of a friend, a spouse, Mother-in-law, you might as well have the number of your therapist or a divorce lawyer on speed dial. Or so my clients told me 😊
But truth is, I had been in many situations where a couple couldn’t agree on the color of a countertop or should the wood panels be painted or not. White or gray for the cabinets? And oh no! We are not changing out the backsplash tile! So much unnecessary stress!
And by now you have probably figured out the pretty gray color in your friends’ house turns violet-gray in your house and you have no idea why!?
So here are my 7 reasons why you should hire a professional and what to look for when you do so
There are a lot of Color Training courses out there. Really good ones. But please be aware of anyone calling themselves an expert after one course. Not only will a Pro help you choose the RIGHT colors, he or she should also be able to guide you as to the type of product or the finishes you should apply. Granite vs quartzite? Marble vs quartz? Eggshell vs Matte.
2. Money. Obvious reason! Have you ever calculated all the samples, the brushes, the rollers, the tape, and so forth when trying to figure out if you have the right color? Good luck, because the reality is, you are not going to be able to identify the character of any of those samples and you will end up storing all 17 samples in your garage for 17 years.
3. Educational. I always teach my clients the fundamental rules of how to choose a paint color when I am in a consultation. Or why a specific color will not work in a certain space. A PCC will take the time to educate you and explain why your choices didn’t work if and where applicable. You should feel 100% confident in the choices you have made after the Consultation.
4. Time: Instead of spending many confusing hours going through a fan deck or perfect images on Instagram and Pinterest, why not call a pro, get the colors that work in YOUR house, with YOUR furniture and in YOUR environment and specific light exposure and get back doing what you are good at!
5. Knowledge: A sharp PCC will know what is trending and will assist you in making curated choices, creating a beautiful color harmony throughout your house. Trendy is good, but be careful when you have to choose colors for your fixed elements. Stay timeless and classic. Always keep reselling in mind. Be funky and creative with your wall colors, art and accessories instead.
6. Color Design. Color is such an integral part of great interior design! It is powerful when used strategically and can create the model home look you are aiming for! Painted ceilings, color blocking, accent walls, colorful front door, etc.
7. And last, but not least, the Psychology of Color should never be ignored when it comes to effective color design. Color contributes to our conscious and subconscious emotional behavior and a well-trained PCC will know what effect color can create in a specific interior space.